I had a fun time helping out Slow Food with a wine tasting last night at Plates restaurant in Larchmont, NY.
After the event was over, Mrs. Vino and I stayed to have dinner at the bar. Our dishes (plates?) were great, prepared by chef Matthew Karp who, along with the amiable Wendy Weinstein Karp, owns and runs the restaurant.
I was amused to open the wine list to find page one declaring “It’s National Rosé Month!” Since I had apparently missed that memo, I asked Craig Muraszewski, the wine director, about it. He said that he had personally declared it national rosé month, “within these four walls.” Funny stuff. Oh, and he said the National Rosé Month runs from June til Labor Day…
I tried to snap a pic with my cameraphone of Craig’s “top ten reasons to drink rosé,” as listed on page one of the wine list, but it was too low-lit so I’ll re-type them after the jump. I particularly liked #9 for all its randomness…
10. It’s a refreshing summertime favorite
9. The anti-Bush wine
8. Be romantic and drink the wine of love
7. It’s the wine with the most elegant bouquet
6. It’s the wine that will make you “blush”
5. Not sure you want red or white? Compromise…pick rose
4. It’s almost as good as giving flowers…maybe better…
3. Men look great in pink
2. The Grateful Dead used to pound a bottle before each concert
1. Because all the cool people are doing it…and so should you
Of note: Wednesday is BYOB night at Plates!